This year’s Myositis UK AGM and conference took place on 23 June at the Double Tree by Hilton Oxford Belfry near Oxford.
The event was free to members and provided the opportunity to:
- Find out more about the work of Myositis UK
- Learn about ongoing research, treatment and trials
- Speak to experts
- Meet others affected by myositis
On the day
As usual, the day began with the AGM followed by a few presentations as one room before breaking out into three smaller rooms split by myositis type: polymyositis (PM) and dermatomyositis (DM), inclusion body myositis (IBM), and juvenile dermatomyositis (JDM).
In each room, medical professionals spent the morning presenting the latest research, treatment and trial updates relevant to each condition. After lunch, they ran a Q&A session in each room before everyone came back together for the final summary.
- Dr Pedro Machado presented trial updates in the area of IBM.
- Dr James Lilleker presented his team’s research into IBM.
- Professor Hector Chinoy presented in the PM and DM room.
- This year, two doctors from cardiology were present for the first time ever, Dr Dan Sado and Dr Luke Dancy.
- Polly Livermoore from Great Ormond Street led the sessions in the JDM room.
- Charity secretary Irene Oakley shared a trip report from the Global Conference on Myositis which took place in Berlin earlier this year.
- Trustee Laura Oakley explained the Myositis UK website project and next steps.
A fuller write-up from the day’s events will feature in our next newsletter.
Thank you to everyone who travelled far and wide to attend this year’s event, from our members and carers, to speakers and volunteers.
We appreciate the effort our members make to attend, and the time our speakers and volunteers give up to be there. We hope everyone gained something from the day.